Blog: That moment when The Other Woman pissed me off...

On Wednesday 23rd April 2014, I sat in the cinema to watch The Other Woman with my girlfriend (I suffer for you, babe). If you've read my review, then you'll know I did not enjoy the film, but there was one particular moment which stood out to me, due to how absolutely horrible it was.

In one scene, Cameron Diaz returns to her office and destroys the flowers she finds on her desk, that are from her married boyfriend. Her assistant, played by Nicki Minaj, confronts her about why she's annoyed. The conversation goes something along these lines:

Cameron: I found out my boyfriend is married.
Nicki: And you don't think you can take her?
Cameron: I'm not into married guys.
Nicki: Don't knock it till you try it. When I met my husband, we were both married.
Cameron: So you destroyed 2 marriages then.
Nicki: My marriage doesn't count, and he was married to someone who was fat and Canadian, so their marriage was doomed from the start.

Let's just examine that moment. First, let's disregardg the fact that Nicki Minaj is not giving a damn about her marriage failing. For all we know, it could have been an unhappy marriage. Now let's point out that not only is she pretty much defending her destruction of somebody else's relationship, because she considered the woman to be beneath her in both looks and nationality, but she is also saying that it is because of this that the other marriage wouldn't have lasted.

"Why do you not like what I said?"

Is this the kind of backward thinking we want to promote and pass off as comedy? It isn't funny, all it does is offend and do harm to the images of what is acceptable to do or say. While the film itself isn't a promotion for cheating, this exchange seems to be, provided you consider one of the party in the relationship to be ugly.

One day, Hollywood will understand that women put their focus into things other than relationships and that comments like this aren't acceptable. Sadly, that day isn't today.

Comments